Should there be another cruise with the MV Hondius?


Crew of the “Hondius” in quarantineHantavirus ship is set to set off on a new cruise

Passengers aboard the Bahamas-registered cruise ship Ambition Ambassador confined following the outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness onboard, at the Bordeaux port in Bordeaux, southwestern France on May 13, 2026. French authorities on May 13 confined more than 1,700 passengers and crew on a British cruise ship docked in Bordeaux after an elderly passenger died, said officials, who played down any links to the hantavirus scare. Photo by Margot Le Gonidec/ABACAPRESS.COM

An improvised quarantine village was set up in the port of Rotterdam for the crew of the cruise ship Hondius. (archive)

picture alliance / abaca / Le Gonidec Margot/ABACA

Quarantine in Rotterdam!
After the hantavirus outbreak on board the expedition cruise “Hondius,” the remaining crew was taken to a mobile quarantine camp in the port of Rotterdam. Meanwhile, preparations are already underway for a comprehensive disinfection of the ship – and a possible next cruise in a few days.

Evacuation after international health alert

Passengers on the ship had previously been evacuated to Tenerife after several deaths related to the hantavirus were reported. The remaining emergency crew and two ship's doctors finally brought the ship safely to the Dutch port, accompanied by authorities.

A dead German passenger was also brought ashore. A total of three deaths are said to be related to the outbreak.

Video tip: German “Hondius” passengers brought to Frankfurt

Advertisement:

Recommendations from our partners

Quarantine in mobile accommodation in the port

After their arrival, the approximately 25 crew members and medical staff were moved to a container and living module camp that was set up at short notice. Strict quarantine conditions apply there with daily testing and medical monitoring for a period of up to 42 days.

Reading tip: After Hondius trip: Canadian tested positive for hantavirus

According to the operator “Oceanwide Expeditions”, none of the people in quarantine are currently showing symptoms.

RTL current

Before the “Hondius” can go back into operation, the ship must be completely decontaminated. Comprehensive disinfection measures are planned for all cabins, common areas and frequently touched surfaces. UV light technology could also be used.

According to experts, common disinfection procedures are generally sufficient to eliminate the virus.

Reading tip: Deadly Hanta virus on cruise! Researchers are now looking for the cause

The WHO and the European Union are said to have coordinated the evacuation and crisis management. At the same time, experts emphasize that there is no evidence of a new, more dangerous virus variant.

New cruise planned despite crisis

Despite the ongoing quarantine and comprehensive disinfection measures, the Dutch company is continuing to operate expedition cruises.

The next voyage of the “Hondius” from Keflavik towards the Arctic is planned for May 29th. However, the authorities should carry out another safety inspection before the planned departure. The situation therefore remains tense.

Source used: The Sun, PICTURE

Website |  + posts
  • Related Posts

    Tim lives in a shared apartment at the age of 35 – the women react in shock

    Red flag, no-go or completely fine?!At 35, Bachelor Tim still lives in a shared apartment – for some women this is a real problem Bachelor Tim surprised the ladies with…

    Bill Kaulitz meets his toxic ex-boyfriend after eleven years – and reacts THIS way!

    A reunion that he had been nervous about for years“That one who broke your heart!” Bill Kaulitz meets a toxic ex-partner after eleven years Bill Kaulitz REUTERS When you suddenly…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Tim lives in a shared apartment at the age of 35 – the women react in shock

    Tim lives in a shared apartment at the age of 35 – the women react in shock

    Bill Kaulitz meets his toxic ex-boyfriend after eleven years – and reacts THIS way!

    Bill Kaulitz meets his toxic ex-boyfriend after eleven years – and reacts THIS way!

    Campino in his early 60s in the joy of having a baby – these stars became fathers late

    Campino in his early 60s in the joy of having a baby – these stars became fathers late

    Campino in his early 60s in the joy of having a baby – these stars became fathers late

    Campino in his early 60s in the joy of having a baby – these stars became fathers late

    Helene Fischer makes fans freak out – with her new song “Tonight”!

    Helene Fischer makes fans freak out – with her new song “Tonight”!

    GZSZ preview today on RTL+: Will Laura be exposed?

    GZSZ preview today on RTL+: Will Laura be exposed?